Almost all weather observations and predictions originate from NWS.NOAA.gov and are interpreted for a number of different applications. AviationWeather.gov is where most aviation forecasts originate and are derived from. Use the weather to fly system to learn what to look for. Basics for weather in the US are cloud/systems and wind. The following links provide enhanced interpretation of weather data and a basis for further exploration. Call 1-800.WX-Brief for an FAA pre-flight briefing.
Over All Weather – The Big Picture
- Fronts, Pressure Systems, Isobars (weather systems)
Intellicast | UNISYS | FAA | SFSU | NOAA 7 day | W Underground
- Winds – surface to jet stream
surface | FAA all | Intellicast jet | AccuWeather jet | SFSU jet
- Satellite Views – Clouds & Air Masses
USA | Choose area | NOAA.gov | UNISIS-IR | | Intellicast
Our Planet | NWS 28km | Intellicast | Weather Central
Local Conditions (Use the following to drill down to specifics for your area)
- Winds, Moisture, Stability, and Barometer
Surface Analysis – UNISIS | Intellicast | NOAA | FAA | Underground | USAirNet
- Basic local forecast
Intellicast – enter location at top| Weather.com – Enter zip code |
NOAA #1 – Click to your area | NOAA #2 – Click to your area
- Stability and Winds
Soaring Forecast (vertical winds)
Local Graph- SoarForecast.com |
Upper Air Data Details & Terms – Lifted Index |Total Totals K Index
Winds Aloft (horizontal winds)
Winds Aloft Forecast (Tables) 1 Day – NOAA |
Winds Aloft Forecast (Graphics) 3 Day – NOAA
- Listen to NOAA weather radio 162.55 / 162.400 / 162.475 Mhz
- Call 1-800-WX-Brief (1-800-992-7433) for weather, NOTAMS, flight planning
- DUATS (Digital User Access Terminal Service) 1-800-767-9989
- Watch the weather channel.
- Watch your local TV weather information.
- Call others who may be looking at Weather to Fly information, to compare notes.
- Make sure to watch the Weather To Fly DVDs.
FAA Recommended Weather and National Airspace
- METARS – Aviation Routine Weather Report Observations
- TAF – Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts
- DUATS (Digital User Access Terminal Service) on line
- Use links below or call 1-800-WX-Brief (1-800-992-7433) for airspace restrictions
- NOTAM – Notice to Airman – FAA
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions – FAA
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions- AeroPlanner.com
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions – AOPA